The holidays are just around the corner, which means it’s just about time to treat our taste buds. How about some wine and fudge? YUM!!!
When wine and fudge are already YUMMY, can they be even YUMMIER when paired together? YES!
Last weekend, I led a wonderful wine and fudge tasting for Julie Kalua of Julie K Photo and Julie’s great friends. Julie introduced us to amazing Black Canyon Fudge from Emmett, Idaho. The fudge was incredible and got even better when perfectly paired with wine.
Pumpkin Praline fudge, for example, paired stunningly well with Chardonnay, and Dolce Delicious fudge paired beautifully with sparkling wine.
Here is our complete lineup of wine and fudge.
Wines (all from WineShop At Home)
- Petit Cadeau Semi-Seco Sparkling
- Table White Wine
- Somersville 2010 Chardonnay
- Pied Violet 2009 Cabernet Franc
- Talmage 2009 Merlot
- Halcyon 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon
Fudge (all from Black Canyon Fudge)
- Dolce Delicious
- Penuche Pecan
- Pumpkin Praline
- Jalapeno Chocolate
- Black Forest
- Orange Chocolate
- Caramel Chocolate Sea Salt
The Results of Our Wine and Fudge Tasting
We paired the first three fudges with the white wines and the last four with the red wines. We didn’t always agree on our favorite matches, but we came close. Here are the highlights:
- The Dolce Delicious was beautiful with the Petit Cadeau Semi-Seco Sparkling and the Table White Wine. It got lost with the Somersville Chardonnay.
- The Penuche Pecan was pretty good with the Chardonnay but came across as overly sweet with the Sparkling and the Table White. On its own, this fudge was not overly sweet.
- The Pumpkin Praline was fantastic with the Chardonnay but overwhelming with the Sparkling and the Table White.
- The Jalapeno Chocolate was great with the Cabernet and pretty good with the Cabernet Franc and Merlot.
- The Black Forest was great with the Cabernet Franc and Merlot and quite good with the Cabernet Sauvignon.
- The Orange Chocolate was fantastic by itself but a bit overpowering with the wines.
- The Caramel Chocolate Sea Salt was our favorite. We loved it with all the red wines.
Julie, thanks for hosting such a wonderfully fun event. This was our second annual fudge and wine pairing. I’m already looking forward to the next one ☺
To order Black Canyon fudge, please visit http://www.blackcanyonfudge.com. Note that some of the fudge flavors we tried are part of their fall lineup and will be added to their website within the next week or two.
To order WineShop At Home wine, please visit my website at http://www.winetastingsandmore.com or call me at 650-714-7009.
To learn more about Julie Kalua’s wonderful photography services, please visit http://www.juliekphoto.com.
Please share your wine and fudge pairing experiences here. I’m looking forward to trying your recommendations.
As an independent wine consultant with WineShop At Home, I absolutely enjoy bringing a taste of the Napa wine country home to you one sip at a time. Whether you simply love to drink wine, seek a special personalized wine gift, or are in search of a new wine jobs opportunity as a wine consultant, feel free to contact me for a truly unique wine tasting experience!
Betty Kaufman, WineShop At Home
Wine and fudge, my 2 favorite things! Thanks for the enlightening information.
Mine too! You’re welcome!
Wow, this sounds amazing! Wish my daughter lived closer by because this would be something she and her friends would just love! I know that neither of us is supposed to be eating chocolate or sugar, but it is the holiday season, right???
Right!!! And this fudge is so yummy and rich, you only need a little bit.