I’m thrilled to let you know that WineShop At Home’s 2015 Milano Cellars Dolcetto wine is available! For those of who aren’t yet on the Dolcetto bandwagon, this is an amazing red wine that originates in the Piedmont region of Italy. Italian expatriates brought the grape to CA in the late 1800s. Only 10 or so CA vineyards grow the grape, and only 10 or so CA wineries make the wine. WineShop At Home is lucky enough to be one of those wineries.
What Makes Dolcetto Wine So Good?
- It’s a berry party in your mouth. The latest vintage has a lot of cherry and raspberry notes. Think adult Hawaiian punch.
- This wine can almost pass for a port. It just doesn’t have the high alcohol or the heavy taste.
- It’s a low tannin, low acidity wine that is wonderful to serve slightly chilled.
- While Dolcetto means “little sweet one” in Italian, this wine isn’t sweet. The fruitiness can be mistaken for sweetness, but the wine is actually dry.
- It pairs well with a lot of foods – pizza, pasta, chocolate, cheese, berries. It also is great to drink on its own.
- It’s only $24.50 a bottle.
Two Interesting Pieces of Information
- Dolcetto vs. Charbono. I learned on Wikipedia that Dolcetto is sometimes called Charbono in California but that UC Davis did DNA fingerprinting to determine that the two grapes are different. It would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of the two grapes.
- Italian vs. Californian Dolcetto. Most of the Dolcetto I’ve tasted comes from California, and specifically from WineShop At Home. When I was in Italy a few years ago, I was surprised to find that the Dolcetto was more tannic. I’d love to hear whether you experienced a similar difference.
Our Dolcetto has somewhat of a cult following, so it sadly sells out very quickly each year. If you would like to place an order, I encourage you to do so very soon, either on my website or by calling me at 650-714-7009.
Cheers to a Dolcetto-licious tasting experience!
As an independent wine consultant with WineShop At Home, I absolutely enjoy bringing a taste of the Napa wine country home to you one sip at a time. Whether you simply love to drink wine, would like to host a tasting, seek a special gift, or are in search of a new wine jobs opportunity as a wine consultant, feel free to contact me for a truly unique wine tasting experience!
Betty Kaufman, WineShop At Home