Next month, I will be attending my 10th annual WineShop At Home convention! Wow! Ten years! Where has the time gone?
Many of you know that I spent many years in high-tech marketing. When I was laid off from a company some 11 years ago, I knew that I wanted to do something in the wine industry. In my research, I came upon the wine consultant opportunity with WineShop At Home, and I thought it sounded great – until I found out that it was a direct sales company.
I had always had a negative opinion about direct sales. I remember a fellow student in my college boarding house who sold personal care products so aggressively that when one of us was running low on tooth paste, we would borrow from somebody else. Anything to avoid her hard sell.
So while I loved the wine consultant opportunity, I told the person recruiting me that I would need to think about it. For a very long time.
But I couldn’t stop thinking about all of the benefits:
- Enjoying the wine country lifestyle
- Leading in-home wine tastings
- Getting to sample new wines
- Earning as much as 44% commission
- Setting my own hours
- Building a team of wine consultants
- Entrepreneurial opportunity backed by an established company
So I signed up. And I have to say that I’ve never looked back. I learned very quickly that direct sales doesn’t have to be aggressive, and more importantly that being a wine consultant is about as much fun as anybody can have.
Besides the list above, here are the top 10 reasons to be a wine consultant:
10. Sipping wine, eating chocolate and nibbling delicious cheese defines our “job.”
9. Almost everyone enjoys a wine tasting – men, women and businesses alike!
8. When we say “business trip,” we often mean a quick visit to Napa, Italy or the Caribbean.
7. People love to host wine tastings, and people love to attend wine tastings. Booking, selling and recruiting is a bubbly breeze!
6. When people ask you what you do, you get to say, “I lead wine tastings in your home!”
5. When times are good, wine sells well. When times are bad, wine sells well. Basically, wine is recession proof.
4. It’s not acceptable to hoard body wash, vitamins, or cosmetics, It IS acceptable to hoard wine. Many people have hundreds of bottles of wine!
3. Your “office” is a Wine Tasting!
2. When you have to do industry research, you have to sip wine J
And the Number One reason why selling Wine is the Best…
1. You get to say, “I drink for a living!!!”
Want to know learn more about how you can enjoy the BEST career selling wine? Contact me today, and let’s talk about an exciting and fun career!
As an independent wine consultant with WineShop At Home, I absolutely enjoy bringing a taste of the Napa wine country home to you one sip at a time. Whether you simply love to drink wine, would like to host a tasting, or are in search of a new wine jobs opportunity as a wine consultant, feel free to contact me for a truly unique wine tasting experience!
Betty Kaufman, WineShop At Home