Thanksgiving is a time to remember what we are thankful for: our family, our friends, our pets, our homes and nature. And this year, Thanksgiving 2022, regardless of our politics, we can be thankful that we still have a democracy, that we are still the land of the free.
Giving Thanks on Thanksgiving 2022
Besides the usual trough of things to be thankful for, on Thanksgiving, we get to be incredibly thankful for good food – and wine. What are your favorite dishes? Turkey? Fish? Stuffing? Sweet potato casserole? Deviled eggs? Pumpkin pie? Pecan pie? Wine? Wine? Wine?
Thanksgiving Wine Recommendations
There are four simple tips to keep in mind when serving wine on Thanksgiving:
- Serve Sparkling Wine front and center. Sparkling Wine and/or Champagne are perfect for the Thanksgiving dinner table because they carry a healthy dose of acidity to complement the natural fats typical of many popular Thanksgiving dishes. Also, they are great palate cleansers. The Thanksgiving meal can feel very HEAVY. Happily, every time you sip Sparkling Wine, your mouth is cleansed, and you feel ready for another bite of food. And very importantly, Sparkling Wine and Champagne bring a celebratory flair to the table.
- Serve acidic whites. For the same reason that Sparkling Wine and Champagne are such great Thanksgiving accompaniments, acidic whites like Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling and Pinot Grigio are the way to go.
- Serve low-tannin reds. For festive meals, you often think of your best wines – perhaps a very special Cabernet you’ve been saving for many years. Truth be told, for Thanksgiving, a big, bad red can overpower the turkey and stuffing. You’ll do much better choosing lower tannin, lighter reds like Pinot Noir and Merlot.
- Don’t forget about dessert. When it comes to dessert, you want to make sure your wine is sweeter than your dessert. Having a wine that’s less sweet will result in bitter flavors A late-harvest Zinfandel could be perfect.
My WineShop At Home PicksI’ll end this article by sharing my WineShop At Home picks for Thanksgiving 2022.
- Sparkling – We have several great Sparkling Wines, but my favorite is our Cadeau Brut Sparkling.
- Whites – Our Cookie Cellars 2019 California Sauvignon Blanc is fantastic, as are our Homage Cellars 2018 California Viognier and our Halcyon 2020 Swartland, South Africa Chenin Blanc.
- Reds – We have so many to choose from here. My recommendations include our Terroir Cellars 2020 Pays d’Oc, France Grenache, our Adagio 2020 Yecla, Spain Monastrell and our Symbio 2020 Argentina Malbec.
- Dessert Wines – Our Dusk 2021 Lodi Orange Muscat is delicious, as is our Cookie Cellars 2019 California Macaron, which was made with 100% Touriga Nacional, the primary grape used in Portugal Port.
To place an order, please visit my website or call me at 650-714-7009. If you place your order before the end of the month,, you will get a great holiday discount.
Cheers to a safe, happy, healthy and tasty Thanksgiving 2022!
As an independent wine consultant with WineShop At Home, I absolutely enjoy bringing a taste of the Napa wine country home to you one sip at a time. Whether you simply love to drink wine, seek a special personalized wine gift, or are in search of a new wine jobs opportunity as a wine consultant, feel free to contact me for a truly unique wine tasting experience!
Cheers, Betty Kaufman
WineShop At Home
Ready for Halloween? Then you’re ready for Halloween candy and wine! Ten or so years ago, my wine-loving friend Len and I came up with